Chest & Box Lid Hinges
This section has hinges for chest lids and box lids, bench seats and cedar chests tops.
Hettich Box Lid Support
- Flap support for front opening cabinets.
- May also be used as a lid support for boxes (image orientation is for box lid, for flap rotate 90 degrees clockwise).
- Available in two sizes: Light Weight and Medium Weight.
- Both sizes measure the same size, the difference is in the size of the spring.
- In the closed position the support measures 5.5" long, 1-3/8" tall and 1-3/8" wide. See link below for view of support in closed position.
- Weight ratings per lid using one right hand and one left hand support:
- The Medium Weight model spring force is rated at 140 N and will hold a 5.5 lb. flap or lid.
- The Light Weight model spring force is rated at 90 N and will hold a 4.4 lb. flap or lid.
- Made from nickel plated steel.
- Opening angle is 75 degrees.
- Each support uses 2 each #8 Pan Head Screws (for the lid) and 2 each #8 Flat Head Screws, and 2 each #6 pan head screws (for the side wall mount). Screws are not included but offered for purchase during checkout.
- PLEASE NOTE: This product is not recommended for use in Toy Boxes as there may be a danger to small fingers.
- PLEASE NOTE: Normal installation requires one "Left Hand" model and one "Right Hand" model. Make sure to order one of each in the same size (Light Weight or Medium Weight). Do not mix different weight models on the same flap.
Toy Box Lid Stay Torsion Hinge
- Lid support hinge for Toy chests, cabinet doors, office furniture or anywhere you need to support a lid in the open position.
- Meets ASTM safety requirements. Tested to 25,000 cycles. Product is lead-free.
- Will support the lid at any point of release.
- Made to work on chests where the backwall is 3/4" thick.
- One leaf (the leaf with the wrap-around) of the lid support attaches to the 3/4" thick back wall of chest. The other leaf of the lid support attaches to underside of the lid.
- Available in two finishes: satin nickel or dark oil rubbed bronze.
- Available in three weight ratings (inch-pound ratings). See info below on how to calculate which weight rating size you need for your size lid.
- Mounting screws are included.
- Made from steel.
- First calculate the "inch-pound" rating of your lid:
- Multiply the front-to-back dimension of your lid (in inches) times the weight of the lid (in pounds) and divide by 2. This equals the "inch-pound" rating of your lid.
- For example if your lid weighs 15 lbs and the front-to-back dimension of your lid is 20 inches your calculation would look like this: 15 x 20=300. Then divide by 2. 300 divided by 2 equals 150 inch-pounds.
- Then choose the combination of lid supports which comes closest to your "inch-pound" rating.
- The lid supports are available in 3 weight rating models: 30, 40 and 60 inch-pounds.
- For the example above (150 inch-pounds) the best choice would be to buy 3 lid supports (two of the 60 inch-pound supports and one 30 inch-pound support).
- It is important to remember that the supports must be installed in a symetrical manner. If you buy two supports, they must both be the same weight rating. If you buy 3 supports (for example, two of the 60 inch-pound supports and one of the 30 inch-pound supports), the 30 inch-pound support must be installed in between the two 60 inch-pound supports. They should also be installed an equal distance apart from each other.
Please note that these have been discontinued by the manufacturer and are no longer available. We have left this page on the website for reference while we search for a replacement product.
Lid Support, Stainless Steel
- Lid Stay or Support for boxes, cedar chests, blanket chests, etc.
- This lid support assists in the lifting of your lid and it will hold the lid in the "up" position.
- PLEASE NOTE: this lid support does not "dampen" the closing action of the lid so it is not recommended for children's toy boxes.
- Made from stainless steel and nylon with a stainless steel spring.
- Available in 3 different mounting styles (all models mount on inside of box)
- Right Side Mount (mounts on underside of lid and right side panel of box)
- Left Side Mount (mounts on underside of lid and left side panel of box)
- Back Wall Mount (mounts on underside of lid and back wall of box)
- Available in two different weight ratings (use formula information below to calculate your lid "moment")
- 26 inch/pounds (in/lbs) maximum lid moment
- 34 inch/pounds (in/lbs) maximum lid moment
- Click on PDF link below for product dimensions and exact installation locations. Dimensions are in millimeters.
- Important information about the hinge location and back wall thickness of your box. For this lid support to work correctly, the back wall of your box must be 3/4" thick and the pivot point of your hinge (where the hinge pin is) must be located on the outside back wall of the box. See PDF link for more information. Normally, you would use a piano hinge or several butt hinges to hinge your lid.
- The formula for the weight rating is: Lid Front to back dimension (in inches) times Lid Weight in pounds divided by 2 equals the lid "moment".
- More than one lid support can be used for heavier lids, up to 3 supports per lid. Do not mix lid supports of different weight ratings when using more than support.
- Do the calculation using the formula and choose the lid support that most closely matches the "moment" of your lid. Do not exceed the maximum rating value.
- Screws are not included and must be ordered separately. Order 4 each #8 pan head stainless steel screws per lid support. The are offered for purchase during checkout.
- Instructions are not included. Please print out the PDF file so that when your supports are delivered you will have instructions.
Lid Hinge, Steel
- Chest lid hinge is made from .080 gauge steel.
- Made to use on 3/4" thick material.
- Flat leaf measures 1-1/2" tall by 2".
- Bent leaf measures 1-1/2" tall by 3/4" (from hinge pin to bend) and 1-1/2" tall by 1-1/4" (after bend).
- Flat head screws are included.
- Steel base material.
- Brass plated.
- Zinc plated.
- For use with boxes, humidors, cigar boxes, etc.
- Hinge is reversible for either right or left hand installation.
- Stops lid at 90 degrees
- Solid brass base material
- Length of hinge pin measures 1-3/16"
- Each hinge "leg" measures 1-11/16" long by 21/64" wide
- Screws are included
- Polished Nickel
- Polished Brass
Small Piano Hinge with 90 Degree Stop
Steel Box Hinge With Stop
- hinge has built-in stop to keep lid from opening more than 90 degrees
- steel base material
- joint length is 1"
- open width is 1-15/16"
- uses #5 oval or flat head screw (not included)
- Nickel Plated
- Brass Plated
Box Hinge With Stop, Steel
- Made from steel base material.
- Hinge has built-in stop to keep lid from opening more than 90 degrees.
- Hinge measures 1-1/2" high by 2-5/8" wide.
- Each hinge uses 6 each #6 round head screw (not included)
- Nickel Plated
No Mortise Lid Hinge
- For lift lids on stereos, toy chests, piano benches, etc.
- Steel base material
- Opens approximately 195 degrees
- In the "Size" column below the size refers to the thickness of the back wall of the box.
- Hinge measures 2" tall along hinge pin. Lid leaf measures 1-5/8" by 1"
- For the bronze model order our SKU #286253 (#4 x 5/8") bronze screws. Screws are not included but are offered for purchase during checkout.
- For the brass model use #4 flat head brass screws. Screws are not included but are offered for purchase during checkout.
- Brass plated
Lid Support Hinge, Up Opening
- For "up opening" lids
- Use on hampers, piano benches, chest lids, etc.
- Surface mounted
- In the fully open position the hinge measues 6" long by 13/16" wide.
- Hinge will hold lid open at 90 degrees
- Designed for maximum lid overlay of 3/4"
- Steel base material
- Uses #6 flat head screws (not included but offered for purchase during checkout). Uses 4 screws per hinge.
- Spring action holds lid in closed position
- When lid is closed hinge is completely concealed.
- Nickel plated
Cedar Chest Hinge
- For use on cedar chests and similar boxes
- Will hold lid open at 95 degrees
- This product is not for use on toy boxes lids as it is dangerous for small fingers
- Sold as a pair (one left hand hinge and one right hand hinge)
- Mounts to underside of lid and to the rear side walls of the inside of the chest box
- For use on flat top lids only
- Lid cannot overhang the back of the box by more than 3/8"
- Uses #6 Flat head screws (not included but offered for purchase during checkout). Uses 12 screws per pair.
- Brass plated
Bench Seat Hinge
- This hinge works well for hinging a bench seat
- It is available with springs (as shown in photo) or without springs
- SKU 796030 (with springs) will counter balance a seat or lid weighing between 17 and 26lbs (keeps the seat from slamming shut and makes it easier to open)
- SKU 796033 (without springs) works as a hinge without the counter balancing feature for lighter seats. Keep in mind that this model will not keep the seat from slamming shut
- Both models allow the seat to open to 95 degrees
- With both models the seat will move forward about 4" as it opens the full 95 degrees
- Both models are sold by the pair. A pair includes a left hand hinge and a right hand hinge
- Requires 8 each #12 Pan Head wood screws per pair (not included but offered for purchase during checkout)
- This hinge is not recommended for toy boxes as it could be a danger to small fingers
- Yellow chromated
- Holds chest lid open at 75 degrees and keeps it from slamming
- Spring tension is adjustable (sprung on one hinge)
- No additional hinges necessary
- Size is approximately 5-1/4" by 1-3/4"
- A pair includes a left and right side hinge
- Will work for box material up to 1" thick with flat lids (lids without sides)
- Steel base material
- Screws are not included but are offered for purchase during checkout. Uses 6 each #10 pan head screws and 4 each #8 pan head screws per pair of hinges.
- The manufacturer does not provide a weight rating for this product
- We do not recommend that this device be used for a toy box lid hinge. A childs fingers could become caught in the mechanism.
- Baked white epoxy coated