accredited business BBB
Toy Box Lid Supports, Weight Rated
Product Information & Specifications
- Recommended for toy chests, cedar chests, blanket chests, etc.
- Self-balancing feature holds lid in any position to about 85 degrees.
- Used in conjunction with a hinge these lid suports counter balance the lid to keep it from slamming shut.
- Available in 8 weight ranges from 20 inch/lbs. to 140 inch/lbs. (use formula shown below to calculate inch/lbs rating of your lid)
- Available in two mounting positions as shown in photo. The "left hand" model is mounted on the left hand side wall of your box. The "center" model is mounted anywhere along the back wall of your box. It can also be used as a "right hand" model by mounting it "near" the right hand side of your box but it will be mounted to the back wall instead of the side wall.
- To calculate the inch/pound rating of your lid multiply 1/2 the front to back lid distance (in inches) times the lid weight (in pounds).
- It is always best to actually weigh your lid on a scale. However if this is not possible and your lid is made from plywood, you can use the following to calculate the approximate weight of your lid; 3/4" thick plywood weighs about 2.34 lbs. per square foot.
- For inch/pound ratings over 140 use more than one lid support (do not combine lid supports of different ratings).
- If you use two lids supports on one lid, the combined inch/lbs rating of the two supports should equal the inch/lbs calculation for your lid.
- This product complies with the CPSC's voluntary standards.
- Overall length is 6" . Base material is steel.
- PLEASE NOTE #1: for this product to work properly it is important that you use the simple formula shown above to calculate the "torque" or "moment" that your lid creates as it pivots on its hinges. It is a combination of the weight of the lid and the front to back dimension of the lid.
- We get a lot of customers who ask, "Should I go to a heavier rated support to be safe? The answer isno. Get a precise weight on your lid, do the calculation and use a lid support that fits in between the recommended weight rating range.
- If you are using more than one lid support and you are questioning whether you should use 2 supports that are at a heavier rating or 3 supports that are at a lesser rating, the answer is that you should choose the configuration that calculates out closest to the middle of the rating range.
- If you need help with the calculation email us the exact weight of your lid (in pounds) and the front to back dimension of your lid (in inches) and we will do the calculation for you. We will email you back the correct items for you to order.
- PLEASE NOTE #2: the spring colors listed in the detail below are shown to help identify the different weight ratings of the lid supports.
- PLEASE NOTE #3: The maximum back wall thickness that this product will work with is 3/4".
- IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTE:
- Screws are not included with this product. They are offered for purchase during checkout. Please order 4 each SKU 286252 screws for each support ordered.
- Please print out installation diagram (click on link below). Instructions are not packaged with product.
- Statuary Bronze
Technical Support Information